Saturday, October 31, 2009

SINS OF THE FLESH BY CARIDAD PINEIRO REVIEW


Caterina Shaw’s days are numbered. Her only chance for survival is a highly experimental gene treatment – a risk she willingly takes. But now Caterina barely recognizes herself. She has new, terrifying powers, an exotic, arresting body — and she’s been accused of a savage murder, sending her on the run.

Mick Carrera is a mercenary and an expert at capturing elusive, clever prey. Yet the woman he’s hunting down is far from the vicious killer he’s been told to expect: Caterina is wounded, vulnerable, and a startling mystery of medical science. Even more, she’s a beautiful woman whose innocent sensuality tempts Mick to show her exactly how thrilling pleasure can be. The heat that builds between them is irresistible, but surrendering to it could kill them both . . . for a dangerous group is plotting its next move using Caterina as its deadly pawn.

Description taken from http://www.caridadpineiro.com/

DONI'S RATING SCALE OF 1-5

SINS OF THE FLESH - 4 OUT OF 5


Reviewed by Doni R. Miller

When I started reading the prologue, I thought "Uh-oh." The main character is sick, in the same manner as an acquaintance of mine. I was worried that I might have trouble with the story. I am happy to say that I did not.

The author's use of modern and real science mixed liberally with fictional mad science and non-stop action kept it interesting. I read the book in about six hours. I could not put it down. The story made me think. The bad guys, Edwards and Morales, made me wonder whether or not people would actually kill with millions of dollars at stake. It made me wonder if genetic manipulation is a good idea, or a very dangerous science.

The characters are yummy. Caterina had a heck of a lot to deal with: illness, pain, doctors, mad scientists, murder accusations, psycho killers, drugs and a macho hero. Yet she is strong. She is a fighter. You can't help but fall in love with her. I admire her strength. Mick, at first, I wasn't sure of . But he grew on me. And even though, at first, he didn't come across as a nice guy, he had morals. He wanted more explanation as to what the real story was. He became a hero. I fell in love with the characters as Mick took care of Cat, helped her remember, gave her her music, and started to trust that she didn't do what she was accused of. You could see Mick and Cat together. One other positive character that deserves mention is Liliana, Mick's sister. I liked how she stood up for herself, and defends herself against her abuser. I wanted to know more about her.

The story flowed beautifully from prologue to the end. The author's passion was evident in her writing. What I did not like has to more to do with reviewing an ARC (advance reading copy) and a label of uncorrected page proofs. You have to sometimes add words or reread sentences to understand a passage. Don't get me wrong, it does not happen a lot. And it is an honor to receive an ARC from an author. I can't wait for the second book in this series.

Find out more about Caridad Pineiro and her other books at http://www.caridadpineiro.com





Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Terry Kate said...

Wow,
It is interesting to have the science mix in with the suspense and paranormal. I personally don't really trust the stuff. I am kinda scared of science made food - Science made people!
The idea kinda gives me the shivers.
Thanks Doni!
I might just make you mail the ARC back to me so I can read it.
Terry Kate

October 31, 2009 at 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally awesome! Cant wait to read the book now, I only hope that i can buy a copy here in Australia. Thanks Doni.
Veronica Sharman

November 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home