Friday, October 30, 2009

Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark Series


So here it is the nitty gritty - down and dirty - how I feel about the Immortals After Dark Series.
WRITE FASTER!  Umm... Not that I am obsessive or nothing.  I mean I only buy the books the minute they come out.  So now to the series.
As with all series it has its ups and its downs.  Ones I reread till my copy is dead.  And heck I lost my first copy of A Hunger Like No Other and bought ANOTHER!  If you knew what a cheapo I am you would understand.  One or two on the other hand I have not cracked open after the first reading.  Intensity is the word I would use to describe the writing, and based on personal preference some appeal more then others, but they all moved me at one moment or another.  


In A Hunger Like No Other Lachlain MacRieve our sexy werewolf hero is willing to break his own leg and crawl out of imprisonment at the scent of his mate.  Emmaline Troy, part Valkyrie part Vampire is quite the match, her insecurities and the intensity of the relationship building between the two grips my heart.  Vampires are not a much liked race in the world of the Lore - all things out of the ordinary - but he worries about her so much that he feeds her his blood while she is asleep to try and make her stronger, though it slows his own healing.  Heart ache.  You would think I asked my boyfriend for the moon when he can't reach the remote from where he is and has to get up to get it for me.



I am a sucker for destined mates.  And great big soul burning love.  All of which the books in the series have to varying degrees.  Certain heros just call to us, or in some of the books it has been the heroine.  In the very best of her books both called to me equally.  Now the stories tend to keep it all in the family, well on the Valkyrie side they are not exactly siblings but if you live in the same house you are family.  So we got a set of four Wroth Brothers all vamps, two Demon Brothers, all the Valkyrie in Val Hall, and the men of the Lykae Clan - Werewolves - The next book Pleasure a Dark Prince - due out in February - read forever - is my love from Hunger's younger brother.  Yippy skippy - a love a cuddly wolf story!



So which did not light my fire and which did?  Well I already told you one that warms my heart, so now the ones that did it for me less, which are the stories with the Vampire Wroth Brothers.  I liked No Rest for the Wicked, cause I liked our heroine Kaderin the Cold Hearted.  Dark Needs at Nights Edge?  Oh I liked this Wroth brother, tortured and burdened, is it getting hot in here?  Now his ghostly love I could take or leave.    Kiss of a Demon King - adore them both!  Oh the intensity between the two, the tension Kresley Cole builds gets me in the guts, which is the highest praise I can give an author.  


Authors walk this tight rope - and it is hard, I know it is hard - between getting books out fast and making them the best they can possibly be.  A few of the books in the series may have fallen prey to this.  I have moments in Wicked Deeds on a Winters Night where I say - I love it, it is one of the best out there, but I feel a bit rushed in the story.  That is why A Hunger Like No Other and Kiss of a Demon King stand out.  The pressure builds and builds and develops throughout the story until I feel like I will explode from everything the characters are going through.


In short, they are all great, and though I wait with baited breath and need to concentrate to suppress my excitement about the next book in the series, take your time Ms. Cole.  I can always read the others again and again while I wait. 
Find out all about Kresley Coles Books on her site. - http://kresleycole.com/

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home