Sunday, October 4, 2009

Interview with Kerry L. Marzock


I would like to welcome Paranormal author Kerry L. Marzock to Nightmare in the Backseat.  Kerry, will your books give us nightmares?

KM:  Maybe some small ones, but then that’s what a horror writer hopes to do.  I think the Raven series is a very good mix of horror, action, strange romance, some levity, and of course, we need a little bit of blood and gore mixed in there as well.
TK:  Oh yes, our lives in this modern world certainly does lack blood and gore.  Well unless you are a doctor or something.

KM:  For sure, but what's a good horror novel without any?  I think horror and science fiction have always given readers a chance to get lost into something other than their normal daily lives.  At least it has been for me since I was a young child.
 TK:  If the blood was wet and real would it still be as fascinating for you?

KM:  Ha, not sure there, I probably would get a little squeamish, but one part of what I write about, shape shifting, has always enthralled me, so that would definitely be fascinating, not sure if the blood which probably would come as a result of that when on the hunt.
 TK:  It seems like readers today want to escape to a simpler, more animal level of experiential existence as part of the appeal of were - characters.  Is there any of that in it for you?

KM:  I definitely think so.  Life is hard enough on an everyday basis and sometimes (as mere humans) we feel a little inadequate possibly to handle situations that require more hostility I guess.  But changing into an animal, or for that matter, any other type of creature, gives a person a chance to escape and be somebody, or something else, at least for a little while.  I prefer the wolf as my beast, but it seems that creatures which prey on others are the were-beasts of choice such as bears, large cats, etc.  Who wants to be a rabbit, a squirrel, or a llama?
TK:  I would be a gentle giant and be a panda - or my boyfriend's nickname for me is bunny - it might be fun to hop around every once in a while.

 KM:  Hey, panda's are really cute, but you know they have their mean, cantankerous side so your boyfriend better watch out *smile*.  Plus, I hope you like bamboo and watch out for those animals of prey.
TK:  Or Panda Express if "Corporate America" can be believed.  So, you are choosing wolf as your alter ego?
KM:  Oh, absolutely, they are incredible animals and I’ve always had this love affair with wolves.
TK: Lions are pretty bad ass too.

KM:  I love big cats as well, probably more like a jaguar or panther than the lion.  Panthers are incredibly beautiful creatures and move with such grace, speed and stealth.  There was a great older movie, "Cat People", from 1942 that was really good and the revised version in the 1980’s was pretty good also.  The music to that movie was awesome, very eerie and haunting.   (Read Kerry's Review of the Movie Here)
TK:  So tell me about your books, mythology and how you came up with it?

KM:  Okay..."Raven's Way" starts out in Philadelphia where both books, including the 3rd one, take place primarily.  The two main characters are Johnny Raven, part of a race of shape shifters which has lived among humanity for longer than anyone could imagine...he is on a mission of revenge searching for the monster that slew his mate and unborn child...this brings him to Philly where he meets up with a Philadelphia police detective, Kathleen Morello.  That is where the strange romance takes place and where her life is altered forever.  The book takes them on this dizzying search for the killer, but other characters are brought into the book as well which ends up in a major battle on the fields of Valley Forge Park.  Philadelphia has many very cool locations for a horror story.  The second book "Raven’s Rage" takes up where the first leaves off with the same characters that survived the first book and introduces more incredibly interesting characters, including more of vampire influence.  I also go into much more historical background of my race of shape shifters and how they came about. In addition, I tuck in some history of Philadelphia.
TK:  So what made you decide to let the bloodletters come to the party table?

KM:  Equal opportunity monsters *smile*, but I thought it added to the intrigue and drama, opened up more characters for me to explore and build upon.  I also didn't want the main characters to become stale, plus the vamp influence gives me more storyline avenues to explore, not only separate, but combined...and I also have always been interested in vampires as well as being a horror junkie, so it broadened my creative abilities.  The final battle in "Rage" will hopefully be really enjoyed because it takes place in an incredibly interesting and eerie locale here in Philly. 

TK:  Oh please do broaden your horizons to dead dudes.

KM:  Yeah, absolutely, and there are always others to bring in if I so desire.  In fact, the first chapter of the third Raven novel starts out with vampire hunters.  Being a voracious reader as well, I really enjoy the series aspect of writing and being drawn towards writers who continue their sagas and characters.  I think it gives the reader a chance to really desire more and then look forward to the next release.
TK:  Yes, even deader dudes, like Zombies.
KM: Zombies are cool, but I'm not sure if I'll go there, at least not yet, though there is always the possibility of a separate book down the line.  I've also always been intrigued by aliens so that is a possibility as well when I decide to stop the Raven series at some point, or develop something different.  I am also working at this time of my first fantasy novel and hope to have it done by spring of 2010.
TK:  Oh come on - a war uniting the Weres and Vamps to fight off Alien invasion would be cool!

KM:  There you go, giving me some more ideas...were's meet ET (and not the cute little bugger either that says “I’ll be right here.”)  Alien movies have always been some of the coolest to watch.
TK:  Has Hollywood ever come close to showing what your wolves look like?
KM:  I think so.  My books actually have the normal, stereotypical werewolf that changes under the full moon, much as in "The Howling" which is a movie that I loved.  My race of shape shifters I think lean more towards those in the movies like the recent "Blood and Chocolate" and the older film "Wolfen", with Albert Finney that I thought was great.  My race of shape shifters are named weregunes and can turn into wolves at any time.  I loved how the movie "Blood and Chocolate" changed the humans into wolves, and the ending in "Wolfen" was fantastic.
TK:  You seem to be quite the movie buff.

KM:  If it's about werewolves and shape shifters then I'm in the front row.  I've also read extensively in that part of the horror genre and have a large collection of werewolf novels.  I've really considered all the incredible authors that I've read over these many years as my own instructors/tutors/professors *smile*.  And when I write, I try to really visualize everything in my mind so that it's almost a movie playing on the screen, and of course, nothing would thrill me more than to see the Raven series on the silver screen...so move over Twilight.
TK:  When the day comes I will be there opening night to write my review.

KM:  You'll have a seat right beside me with plenty of popcorn.
TK:  Thanks so much for taking the time to give us the behind the scenes of the Raven Series world.

KM:  Thank you for having me Terry and I hope that anybody who reads the Raven books will have as much enjoyment as I have had in writing them and will continue to have for hopefully a long time.

TK:  Thank you Kerry!  You can find her books at http://www.soulasylumpoetry.com,   www.amazon.com,   www.barnesandnoble.com.  You can also check out her web site at:  http://mysticwolfpa.tripod.com//index.html , and her blog at:  http://www.kmarzock714.wordpress.com

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Terry Kate said...

Kerry
Thanks so much for being here!
This is a great interview to kick off the blog!
Terry Kate
Romance in the Backseat

October 4, 2009 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me be the first interview to click off the paranormal blog Terry. I really enjoyed it, as well as writing the movie review. I kind of like doing that, though I should've said 3-1/2 howls out of five **smile**. Your site here is great and good job Terry, thanks again.
Kerry Marzock
http://kmarzock714.wordpress.com/

October 4, 2009 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Great interview ladies! Terry, thank you for introducing me to a new author! I will love looking this up! And look forward to reading it... once I get my hands on it!

October 5, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home