Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Stubborn Ox by Penelope Marzec

According to the Chinese Zodiac.  I was born in the year of the Ox. I never liked that designation.  An ox does not strike me as beautiful or gracefuland I would so much rather be compared with a more attractive animal.  I think of the Ox as big and strong so that it can pull a lot of weight but maybe that’s not a bad thing for an author to be.
               
As an Ox I am supposed to be endowed with certain traits.  One is stubbornness.  For an author, I believe stubbornness is not a negative attribute.  It can be a good thing because it takes persistence and determination to become published.  My stack of rejections proves exactly how determined I have been in my goal.  Without my single-minded dedication, I would have given up early on. Yes, the first rejection was the hardest, and every rejection still stings a little, but none of them ever swayed me from believing I could tell a good story.
              
 An Ox is also supposed to possess an excellent memory. This is extremely useful for an author.  I never know when some quirky fact in the back of my mind will lead to a wonderful plot twist.
               
Oxen are supposed to be methodical and reliable.  Those characteristics have gotten me through the dreaded edits of my books.
              
 Still, some of the characteristics ascribed to the Ox do not seem to fit my personality.  I read one guide that claimed a good career choice for an Ox would be as a horticulturist.  I have a sister who is a horticulturist.  She gives me plants she knows I am unlikely to killplants that need little sunlight and water or perennials that are much like weeds.
              
 In addition, an Ox is supposed to be most compatible with a rat, snake, or rooster.  I married a sheep, which according to Chinese astrology, I should never have married.  In fact, one guide claimed that we are mortal enemies.  Hubby and I can only laugh about that.  We celebrated out thirty-third anniversary.  But perhaps, that is because an Ox is loyal and makes an affectionate, faithful partner.
     
 For the coming year, I guess I’ll just keep plodding ahead in my ox-like way.  According to Chinese astrology, I might have a bit of good fortune in the coming year because the Tiger brings luck to everyone, but I might have to face some challenges.  However, since I’m big, strong, and stubborn that shouldn’t be a problem. I can pull my own weight.

Learn more about  Penelope Marzec on her website
             

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Melina said...

Hi,
I enjoyed the insights into the Chinese zodiac, and yes, it's good to be stubborn if you pursue writing.

Melina M.

February 25, 2010 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger Penelope Marzec said...

Melina,

Which animal in the Chinese horoscope are you? Being an ox makes me feel so unattractive. :^(

Still writing for publication is not for the faint hearted. So having an ox-like mentality is an asset.

Penelope
http://www.penelopemarzec.com

February 26, 2010 at 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home