Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Werewolves, the Hunky Heroic Kind By Terry Spear

In the beginning, werewolves were beasties. The idea any woman in her right mind would want to have one for a partner forever more was unthinkable. The werewolf guy would change without any choice when the full moon appeared. He’d lose any human thought and become a wild beast of prey. He wouldn’t care what he ate or killed. He just had the uncontrollable urge to do so.

In some stories, wolfbane might keep him from turning. In others, it would cause the shift. In yet others, it would kill the wolf. So it depends on the story you’re reading.

I’ve never used wolfbane in my stories. Maybe because of all the confusion as to what it might do to a werewolf. I try to keep my stories as realistic as possible. Why would wolfbane have any of the above effects on a werewolf? Now what if it were foxglove or oleander? Both are poisonous plants if ingested. But for anyone. Not just werewolves.

So let’s take another werewolf legend. Silver kills werewolves. Yes! I totally agree. And in Legend of the White Wolf, I explain why. My son and I were eating at a restaurant, and I mentioned to him how I wanted to do more research on silver, so he pulled out his phone and began looking up information on the Internet. I was jotting down notes on a napkin, excited about a new direction for my story, while he was reading off the information to me. Then the beef fajitas came and *sigh,* I was pulled away from my love of all things wolf.

I loved Miracle on 34th Street. Is Santa Claus real? Of course. The U.S. Post Office proved it by collecting thousands of letters for Santa Claus. What about werewolves? What proof is there that they exist?

Werewolf trials existed centuries ago, proving that some people were truly werewolves. So even if the majority of folks don’t believe, some did. What about Bigfoot, or the Loch Ness monster? Believers actually search for them, sightings reported, why not werewolves?

Well, in Legend of the White Wolf, some do believe in werewolves, and it’s not a good thing for the werewolf pack in the area.
Although the original concept for werewolves was that they turned into a hideous kind of beast, not a handsome wolf, in mine, I couldn’t see a woman wanting a man who looked so beastly when he was in his wolf skin. Plus, how could people not see something so different from a real wolf whenever werewolves shifted into their wolf forms? So mine are wolves, just like real ones, except they have a human conscience and when in their human forms, they still have their wolf senses. But more than that, they have the wolf pack mentality—the desire to protect their mate and pack members, to commit for a lifetime, and to cherish their offspring. They’re beautiful as wolves, and hunks as humans. What more could you ask for in a wolfish kind of guy?
Terry Spear

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger diva donna said...

That's right what more could a women want in a Wolfmate. Love, children, devotion, protection for a lifetime. You stories are wonderful. They're real. Just as the wolves I hear in the distance some nights.

February 19, 2010 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger Terry Spear said...

Thanks, Donna! I'm so glad the Mexican wolves were found and are safe again! :)

February 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home